How different our lives are when we really know what is deeply important to us, and keeping that picture in mind, we manage ourselves each day to be and to do what really matters most.--Stephen Covey

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Grocery Shopping

Grocery shopping has never been one of my favorite things in the world to do. Trying to pick out food items for things that you are going to cook for the week (or in our case, for 2 weeks) is hard when you don't exactly have a schedule or a plan. I usually make a list to begin with for the things that we have run out of or that I think we'll need for meals, but it's usually more than we need and the meals aren't very exciting or adventurous. Not that I'm a fancy cooker or anything, but I do like flavorful foods and when you are cooking at home and the most flavorful food you make is BBQ chicken, things get old very quickly. A colleague of mine suggested that I try a meal program that gives you the meals for a week and the exact grocery list that you will need. At first I was going to wait until I have a job, but since I don't have a job and am looking to save money in any way possible, it seemed like now was a better time than ever. Soooo, I talked with Jake about it and we decided to give it a try--it's a $1/wk and has various "programs" that you can sign up for. Family of 2, 4, even 6 I think. Of course, Jake and I signed up for the family of 2. And so far, it's saved us money and we have little to no waste (we aren't throwing away foods that we haven't eaten because they go to waste). Oh, and we I signed up for the low-carb option (which I think Jake has yet to catch on to... and if he has, he hasn't said anything/doesn't mind too much.).

I bet you are dying to know what the program is. Well, here it is: www.e-mealz.com. Seriously, it's awesome. Since I'm good at organization and scheduling, but not very good at making up a meal schedule, it's been a life saver. And so far the food has been fantastic. The only thing we didn't like is the broccoli slaw (neither of us really like cole slaw to begin with but thought we would give it a chance anyway--now we know) and when Jake got cabbage instead of a head of lettuce and we didn't realize it until we were grocery shopping this week and I put it all together. ::facepalm:: Only we could do something soooo silly without realizing it until 2 weeks later that we didn't like our lettuce wraps because we were eating raw cabbage. I was wondering why the salad we had earlier that week was so crisp as well. lol. Now we know and won't do it again... and that's what I get for letting Jake pick out the produce :P And that's what I get for not really paying attention.

Anyway, we went grocery shopping today. And it would be easy if we stuck to our Kroger like we normally do. But each time we have gone for our shopping, we have gone to Publix instead. First off, Publix doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me (Kroger flows better to me) and we always have a problem in the darned spice aisle. So far, each time we go grocery shopping for these meal plans, we have had to pick up various spices that we don't have--like sea salt and minced ginger. That darned spice aisle always totally cramps our style... I am telling you we spend at least 5-10 minutes trying to find the spices we need and can never find them. We find the common ones, but it's always that one that we just can't find. Like today, minced ginger. I bet I'll only use it for this one meal and I should probably just use the ginger that I have in my spice cabinet, but I would probably put in too much and it would be a disaster meal. So, what do I have to do?? Go to Kroger tomorrow to find minced ginger--which is where we should have went in the first place. Oh, and buy some salmon because for some reason, Publix doesn't sell salmon. Or we just couldn't find it. We fail at grocery shopping.

So, if you go to the side of our blog, you'll see the "button" to go to the E-mealz website. If you click the button on our blog, we get a commission of people that sign up. I think we have to wait until 10 people sign up to even receive anything, but it's worth a try.

Other than that. It was just another lazy Sunday in the life of Liz and Jake. Jake has spent the day glued to his Kindle reading :) and I've been playing around on Facebook and making a new Sparkpeople account to get myself motivated for working out and losing weight again. I deleted my old account and have started with a fresh slate and am determined to lose this weight. I can do this.

UPDATE: (9/21/10) I never did find the minced ginger!! Anyone have any suggestions on where I could find it?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...