How different our lives are when we really know what is deeply important to us, and keeping that picture in mind, we manage ourselves each day to be and to do what really matters most.--Stephen Covey

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

NASCAR


Yes, I said NASCAR. You can't get any more southern than that, right? lol. Did I mention that Jake and I went to our first Nascar race? This blog is totally a day late and a dollar short (or more like a month late...) but I wanted to share the experience with you.

Every now and then Jake gets tickets to various things from work--usually it's a hockey game (seriously, we've had center ice and like 8 rows back seats) or some other sporting event (we haven't gotten football or basketball tickets yet...) but this time it was Nascar. The Atlanta Motor Speedway is about an hour to hour and a half south of where we live (south Atlanta) so it's kind of an all-day thing. Although, if you want the real experience of a Nascar race, you've got to go and spend the day there. There is so much going on before the actual race!! Food, contests, concerts, shopping, drinking (beer), and just, all sorts of things. It's similar to the atmosphere of a sporting event (football, hockey, basketball, etc.) but it's so much different too. It's amazing how many people actually love Nascar and all the left turns that they make (I couldn't resist!). And, I've never seen so many rednecks/southerners congregated in one place. Definitely a culture shock... 


Yes, we were this close to the track...

Anyway, it was awesome. Yes, I said that. Now, don't get the wrong idea and think that we're going to become obsessed and start watching it on TV and stuff... but that definitely won't be our last race. We both loved it!! Although, I think that the next time around Jake will wear earplugs. He didn't and kind of regretted it--his ears rung for 3-days straight and I swear I'm still repeating myself whenever I talk to him because he can't hear me. Or maybe that's just a guy thing?? Either way, he'll wear earplugs next time :P I did and am glad that I did--I could still hear the rumbling engines as they roared past us each time but my ears weren't numb or ringing.

Let me tell you, there is nothing like actually being at a Nascar race. The rumbling engines are so loud that you can't even hear yourself scream ... or think. And the cars are going soooooo fast that you can barely focus on them as they pass by. It's pretty amazing. Anyway, I know we'll be going back. Jake was super excited about it and I can't deny that it was a lot of fun.

Here are more pictures:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...