How different our lives are when we really know what is deeply important to us, and keeping that picture in mind, we manage ourselves each day to be and to do what really matters most.--Stephen Covey

Sunday, October 10, 2010

All So Real [I'm hijacking the blog for a moment to talk about wedding stuff]

Disclaimer: Just so you are prepared, this is a long post!!

So, my last post was about going dress shopping. And about how excited I was to be marrying Jake. Well, I found my dress :) And, I'm even more excited to be marrying Jake now.

Who would have thought that by finally going dress shopping and finding a dress would finally make me feel like a bride. It's all real by the deposits and planning that we've been doing (and a large pile of wedding boxes in the living room) but having a wedding dress makes it soooooooo much more real. I didn't want to take the dress off and it made me feel beautiful. I can't wait for everyone to see it at the wedding in May. ahhhhhhh!!!! :)

Anyway, the wedding dress shopping was an experience. I'll start out by saying that we never made it to New Natalies... I didn't even make an appointment for there, I figured that we would just be able to walk in and be okay. And, it turns out that I didn't even need the appointment :P Sooooo, first was David's Bridal. I got to pick out 3-dresses to try on first and I probably went through 8-10 dresses while I was there. The sales-lady kept bringing me new dresses but none of them were really wowing me. I liked one by the end of the appointment but I think that if I would have bought it and not gone to my next appointment, I would have really regretted it. It was pretty and it really fit my personality and me, but it was not the dress. I told the sales-lady about the other appointment and she made an appointment for me later in the day to come back after my appointment--I obviously ended up canceling it!

I cannot stress to you all how important it is to Jake and I to find personable and "smaller" business when we are buying things and whatnot. I love to buy from Etsy because I know that I am supporting a person that is handmaking objects (a lot of our wedding stuff comes from Etsy!). The money goes directly to them and that makes Jake and I both very happy people. Anyway, just about every single vendor that we are using for the wedding, besides the suit place (Savvi Formalwear), is a "smaller" business--the florist, the venue, the photographer, the baker. We love that every person that we have "employed" is very personable and pays attention to what we want and need for the wedding. Everyone involved in the wedding has been absolutely fabulous and has worked so closely with us.

So, I'm sure you can understand the importance of my experience with A Formal Occasion where I ended up purchasing my dress from. I was referred to A Formal Occasion by my florist (both ladies are friends) and for some reason I just knew that it was where I would end up getting my dress from. While I was at David's Bridal, I didn't once come out in a dress and feel wowed or feel like a bride but the first dress that I tried on at A Formal Occasion I walked out and said "I feel like a bride". I don't know if it was the small boutique atmosphere or the fact that I didn't feel like I was "just another sale" or that the dress was just beautiful, but I actually finally felt like a bride in a wedding dress. It's not the dress that I ended up getting. Although, I did put it on 2 more times to compare it to another dress. Ultimately, it was between the first dress and another dress I loved--of which I picked the other one. But, the dress I chose, I didn't want to take off. And seriously, it's all I can think about now that I have it.

The great thing is, it was the same price as the dress I was contemplating at David's Bridal but I won't have to buy any special undergarments for it and because I ordered it in petite (yea, I'm short!), I won't have to have any alterations. The dress is made with boning in it so I won't have to buy a special bra (as noted about the special undergarments, and may be a bit of TMI...) and the only alterations I will need to have done is for the bustle and I am going to have something small done to the neckline to change it a little. At David's Bridal, with all the extra stuff and alterations, I was going to have to spend another $300-400 on the dress. Soooo, the dress, my dress, will be in sometime in February since I ordered it yesterday :) Totally excited!!

The experience was fun and it was awesome to be able to try on beautiful dresses. I think every woman should go through the whole wedding dress shopping experience once (trying them on)--it's awesome and interesting and you get to feel beautiful and like a princess all at once. It was unbearably hot at David's Bridal which made the experience exhausting and the sales-lady wasn't the one helping me get in and out of dresses. At A Formal Occasion, the sales-people were the ones that were helping me get in and out of dresses and I was able to walk out and show my mom, Mary and Sunny (my Matron of Honor and one bridesmaid). It was just like "Say Yes to the Dress" minus all the drama and cameras and super expensive dresses :P Needless-to-say, I slept like a baby last night! 

Now, excuse me for a moment while I whine about having to sleep alone tonight since Jake is in North Carolina for training. ::whines:: & ::pouts:: I hate sleeping alone. But, I know that it's important for Jake to go to his trainings and it's only for one night. Jake was gone for one whole week once :-/ That was hard. He'll be back sometime tomorrow night... probably between 8-10pm.

Soooo, on that note, I have nothing else exciting or interesting to share so I will say goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. It was so much fun!!!! I enjoyed it and the laughing and changing in and out of all those dresses at David's Bridal. I didn't think any of those quite "fit" you. I agree, the smaller boutique was much better, more personable, and way more fun for me!!!!! I can't wait to see it all put together!!! Love you!!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we got to A Formal Occasion, I felt like I was on an episode of "Say Yes to the Dress"!! Just the fact that the salespeople were helping me in and out of the dress and I got to come out to you and Mary and Sunny made it soooo much more better and make it feel like wedding dress shopping. It was more fun for me too!!

    I emailed my florist, thanking her for recommending me to A Formal Occasion and she said that David's Bridal is like a "bridal factory" and I couldn't agree with her more. They just wanted the sale whereas I felt like Lucinda at A Formal Occasion wanted to help me find the dress of my dreams rather than just make a sale. It was much more pleasant :)

    I can't wait to see it all put together too!! Actually, really, I just can't wait to get my dress on again :) :) :)

    Love you too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...