How different our lives are when we really know what is deeply important to us, and keeping that picture in mind, we manage ourselves each day to be and to do what really matters most.--Stephen Covey

Thursday, March 17, 2011

God Never Blinks: Life Lesson #3

Life Lesson #3:


Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.

Can I get an Amen?? Seriously. It took me a long time to figure this one out. Or maybe not considering that I'm in my mid-twenties. But those that I hated, yea, they could have cared less about what I thought or how I felt about them. But then I realized that I had to let go of all that hate because it was keeping me trapped in a cycle of self-hate. I mean, we all know the saying "You can't love anyone else until you love yourself" and although I knew I loved Jake, I had to let go of the hate in order to really, truly love myself and be able to give my all (love, trust, being) to Jake. It was hard. It didn't happen over night. And there are still times that I test those ugly waters of hating someone--but the only one I am hurting is myself. The energy that I spend hating someone else could be spent loving. So instead of hating, I choose to love the other person. I choose to pray for them instead.  And you know what, it works. And I am happier. And I feel free. Who knew that hatred and loathing could cause one to walk around with such a heavy load on their heart?

What is your experience with choosing to love or pray for someone instead of hating? How did you get to that point in your life? Did it take you years?

1 comment:

  1. This is one that took me several years to learn. I know I hold grudges, and fight very hard not to. I have learned that the more I hold those grudges and the hate, the more it hurt me. I couldn't find my happiness because I dwell on the hurt of the past. I am getting better at that. I have learned to just delete those people from my life, not out of hate, I do forgive them, but more out of self preservation. I don't like to be around alot of negativeness, it's not healthy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...