How different our lives are when we really know what is deeply important to us, and keeping that picture in mind, we manage ourselves each day to be and to do what really matters most.--Stephen Covey

Friday, March 18, 2011

God Never Blinks: Life Lesson #4

Life Lesson #4:

Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.


Okay. This one I definitely don't have down. I can goof off and laugh with the best of 'em. But not only do I take myself so seriously, I take life so seriously too. I guess it's from years of being "perfect"... or at least trying to be perfect. During high school and college, if I had to erase or smudge something out on a piece of note paper, I would choose to get a new piece of paper and restart. Or I would rewrite them later. Or, as computers got more popular, I chose to type them up later. See where this is going? I even do it now with my to-do list. Or grocery list. Exhausting, I tell you. Still to this day I strive for perfection. With planning the wedding I am still trying to make it perfect. I mean, who doesn't want their wedding day to be perfect?! It's hard to give up the perfection. To me, it's organization and order that feeds into my perfection. Careful planning and thought goes into just about everything. But I am trying. Seriously. But it's hard.

Do you take yourself so seriously? Do you have advice for this "serious" girl? What was some of the best advice you received to get out of taking things so seriously?

1 comment:

  1. You know me, I don't take life too seriously at all, it's just a matter of getting through the day, take whatever comes my way and learn from it. It's that attitude that has made me stronger, I think. However, I do set goals for myself, like with my schooling. I wanted to graduate in undergrad with honors and I did. I wanted to prove that in my Masters program I can do better than undergrad and I am, with a 4.0. I decide what I want really badly and push myself to be the best. I am a third year teacher and I have gotten more compliments this week about my innovative ideas and leadership, because I strive to be the best at what I do. Perfect I will never be, and I don't strive for that, but to be the best at who I am, that I can do.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...