How different our lives are when we really know what is deeply important to us, and keeping that picture in mind, we manage ourselves each day to be and to do what really matters most.--Stephen Covey

Monday, September 26, 2011

DIY Recipe Box

Inspiration found here. (And the color of the paint is totally coincidental--it is what I had lying around... And happened to match my paper selections).

Supplies:
- unfinished wooden recipe box. I got mine on Etsy from Unfinished Boxes because I couldn't find one at a local craft store and wasn't into searching thrift stores.
- paint
- Modge Podge
- paint brush
- paper. I used scrapbooking paper


Step 1. Gather supplies.

Step 2. Paint recipe box selected color.

Step 3. Measure and cut paper before modge podge-ing the box. [I used a paper trimmer and regular scissors. I measured each section I wanted to do paper on and then cut it out to the size I wanted--I did have to trim the edges. Tracing each section on the paper would be helpful as well, you would just have to trim it to the desired size. Remember to trim slowly and small. Too much and it'll end up too small/the wrong size.]

Step 4. Add Modge Podge on each section, but remember to do one section at a time. For example, I started with the back piece so I brushed down the glue and added the paper.

Step 5. Make sure to smooth out the piece of paper. It helps to start at the top or bottom of the piece of paper and lay it down. I didn't have problems with any bubbles, but you may, so make sure you smooth them out.

Step 6. Let dry 20-30 minutes.

Step 7. (Optional). Add on any stickers/extras. I added letter stickers on top that spelled out Recipes.

Step 8. Brush one coat of Modge Podge on the top and let dry.

Step 9. Add recipe cards. Mine are Paula Deen recipe cards from Michael's.

My finished Product:

I apologize for the iPhone pictures... my camera is out of battery and I can't find the charging cord.
And, we have the worst lighting in our apartment.

I immediately regretted the sparkles... Not sure what to do about it. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...