How different our lives are when we really know what is deeply important to us, and keeping that picture in mind, we manage ourselves each day to be and to do what really matters most.--Stephen Covey

Sunday, September 11, 2011

God Never Blinks: Life Lesson #10

Life Lesson #10:

God never gives us more than we were designed to carry.


- I guess this is a good one for me to reflect on right now as I pick the Life Lesson's back up (life seriously took over and I let this get away from me...). God never gives us more than we were designed to carry. Chew on that for a little while. Let it sink in. Really think about it.

Think of all the things that have happened to you in your life... moving, marriage, illness/sickness, death, abuse, love, friendship, financial issues, weight problems, ... you name it, you can put it in there. The beauty of this whole thing to me is that one of my clients this week, who is 17-years old said almost the exact same thing. Yes folks, there are still smart children in the world--they aren't all consumed by TV, game systems, and Jersey Shore (yuck, yuck, YUCK!). Anyway, she has some pretty extraordinary circumstances in her life that would bring just about anyone to their knees (in weakness, not to pray) but this young lady has really persevered and is strong, smart, intelligent, and just plain insightful. She told me, the therapist, that we are given the life that God thinks that we can handle. Wow. I almost reached across the table in the middle of therapy and violated 8-billion different ethical boundaries (okay, maybe just 1 or 2) and hugged her.

I'm still trying to figure out what God has planned for me in life. I'll probably never know his exact plan and He'll just continue giving me "bread crumbs" to follow, but I have especially been thinking about His plan the last few months that I have been sick. I by no means feel like I am dying (except when I get painfully exhausted) and as far as we know right now the nodule I have on my thyroid is completely curable, but I have been asking Him why it happened so soon after Jake and I getting married? And why it is happening when I have a job that is in my career field? And of course, we always think, why me? How selfish of us.

I'm not feeling sorry for myself (not today anyway...). Actually, I haven't really felt sorry for myself. I just honestly really want to feel better. I just want answers to the questions that everyone would ask when they get sick. Jake and I are living our wedding vows -- "in sickness and health". Of course we didn't expect "sickness" to come so soon after getting married, but I have the best husband in the world who is being loving and patient and kind and caring. And maybe God is telling me that I'm not really doing what I should be doing in the world, that he has bigger plans for me and I'm not following them right now. And I got sick because God knew that I could handle whatever it was that he threw at me. I'm strong and I will get through it. And maybe God is telling me to pay attention to my health and start treating myself better.

Anyway, through abuse, through sickness, through death, through marriage, through divorce, through anything and everything, God gives us these things because He loves us. Because He knows that we are strong enough to survive anything. It's us, as humans, that doubt ourselves. Who wane when we should be strong. Who have the strength to get through anything. So instead of asking God "Why?" ask him for the strength and courage to get through it and ask him "How?".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...