How different our lives are when we really know what is deeply important to us, and keeping that picture in mind, we manage ourselves each day to be and to do what really matters most.--Stephen Covey

Sunday, September 25, 2011

God Never Blinks: Life Lesson #12

Life Lesson #12:

It's okay to let your children see you cry.




I honestly don't know how I feel about this one... So I'm going to pass this one on. I think that it's important for parents to show emotion around their kids because then they learn how to properly express their own emotions through life... for example, when I get angry, I cry. It makes me feel stupid and weak because I can't control it but as soon as I get angry enough, I start to cry. Maybe this is just me. I don't really remember how emotions were treated in our family. I know we were taught to be seen and not heard and that we don't handle emotions well in my family... so, it's probably a combination of everything and we didn't have an open door policy for emotions.

Moms, dads, grandparents -- What do you think? Crying in front of your kids? Is it okay? You tell me.

1 comment:

  1. Your dad taught you to be seen and not heard. I never shooed you guys off. I also don't think it's that we didn't have an open door policy on emotions, I think we hid how we felt because of the abuse that we went through. It's very common in an abusive household to hide emotions, its a survival method. I know I did that. When I would be attacked by your dad, I would not fight back, I showed no emotion, because he used that against me. I was happiest when he wasn't around. Remember the day he moved out and we had that koosh war fight???!!!! Emotions were everywhere that day, we came to life.
    I think I also spent so much time teaching you all to independent and strong, that you may feel that made me emotionless. But remember how many years I held that anger before letting it go?? I don't think we were emotionless, I think we hid our emotions to survive the craziness.
    Am I making sense? Do I hide them now?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...