How different our lives are when we really know what is deeply important to us, and keeping that picture in mind, we manage ourselves each day to be and to do what really matters most.--Stephen Covey

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Making Big Decisions

Last week, I wrote about treatment options to help cure the hyperactive thyroid nodule that I have. [If you are interested in reading it, you can do so here.] For anyone that knows what we are going through, or has had health concerns that they have had to make treatment decisions about, you know the time and energy that Jake and I have had had to come to a final decision. Much discussion was done. Lots of research (on my part). And just taking into account what our plans are in the next year and how it would pretty much affect our other decisions for the next two years. Or could affect them for the next two years.

Either treatment I get, RAI or surgery, would cure the nodule that I currently have. Well, that's what the doctor says and what we are hoping for. And, either treatment could make me suffer from hypothyroidism (which I feel like I had before all this happened anyway). But the RAI affects me for the next year, especially if I have to do more than one treatment. Surgery would be hard, but would cure me within 2 weeks. So much to think about.

So thinking and talking about it is what Jake and I have been doing. Seriously, who knew sickness would come so quickly for Jake and I?? Oh, it's small in the scheme of things. And it's small compared to what a lot of other people are going through, but it's put my life and celebrating our marriage pretty much on hold for the last 3 months. It's been challenging and stressful. Luckily the antithyroid medication that I've been taking has been helping me to feel better--I no longer feel nauseous all the time (thank God!) and I've been getting some of my energy back. But, I can't be on the antithyroid medication forever...

Which leads to our decision about treatment. Jake and I have decided that we are going to go ahead with the surgery. It's going to mean that I have to take a week or 2 off of work (but I would have had to take about 1-week off for the RAI treatment too--because, ya know, I would be radioactive!) and that I'll have a scar on my throat. But in the long run, it will be the easiest, most effective treatment for me. And for both of us, it would feel good to have the nodule out of my body. It would give us a piece of mind. It's very uncommon for this type of thyroid nodule to be cancerous and I'm not worried if it is. If the nodule turns out to be cancerous, then we'll deal with that when it happens--if this is the case, I'll go in for a second surgery to remove the rest of my thyroid and then getting the RAI treatment will be a must to kill any remaining thyroid tissue and cancerous cells.

I have an appointment on September 14 to get more bloodwork drawn to see how my levels have improved (or not--but I am guessing they are improved) and talk about what Jake and I have decided... at that time, I'll know more :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...