How different our lives are when we really know what is deeply important to us, and keeping that picture in mind, we manage ourselves each day to be and to do what really matters most.--Stephen Covey

Sunday, October 2, 2011

God Never Blinks: Life Lesson #13

Life Lesson #13:

Don't compare your life to others'. You have no idea what their journey is all about.

I love this one. So much! How often do we compare ourselves to just about anyone that we come across. When I read this one in the book, I immediately thought of the quote "The grass is always greener on the other side..." Well, you know why that grass is greener on the other side? It is full of manure :P

God taught me a lot of lessons while I was a nanny recently. To put it simply, I believe that He led me to the family to show me that the things that I wanted were not really the things that I wanted. If that makes any sense. Basically, He helped me to realize that I don't want a big house, fancy car, or a job that I have to work 60-90 hours a week (not that I ever wanted to work that often). I'm not passing judgement here. God just helped me to see in my heart what I really wanted. Jake and family are a lot more important than any job. And besides, I won't take any of my material possessions with me when I go to heaven.

The other part of this is so true. You may think that you are worse off than other people, or you may even think you are better off. But really, you have no idea what that other person is going through or how they got there or what God has planned for them. Maybe they have the nice car, the big house and the fancy vacations, but they don't really ever get to enjoy them because they are always working. Their personal life suffers and ultimately, their soul is wounded. Honestly, I'd much rather be poor than be miserable. At least I know how to be poor and happy--I have that downpat :P

Anyway. Before you pass judgment on someone, even before you pass judgment on yourself and compare yourself/your life to someone else, take a second to think about what their life may really be like. And think that they are probably doing the exact same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...