How different our lives are when we really know what is deeply important to us, and keeping that picture in mind, we manage ourselves each day to be and to do what really matters most.--Stephen Covey

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Planning for Surgery

Finally got to the ENT today. Actually, in all honesty, my appointment was originally on the 19th of October but after dealing with all of this since the beginning of June, it feels good to have some plans and answers.

The ENT was super awesome. Seriously, probably the best doctor in all of my care at this point in time. I thought my endocrinologist was awesome, but my ENT is even more amazing. He was super personable, spent an hour with me going over everything, and actually listened to me. And he was kind. He did another ultrasound and the nodule is 3.5cm by 2.5 cm and pretty much taking over the whole right side of my thyroid. That little bugger. It is fluid filled and tissue (?) filled -- meaning, it is half fluid, half solid. I was told that this nodule did not just "pop up" and has been growing for "some time". Lovely. I guess I've been feeling symptoms of it for awhile now, I'd say at least 3-4 years but not symptoms like I have had since June. I think all the seafood I hate on our honeymoon triggered something... Anyway, the ENT is not worried about it being cancerous but during surgery after the removal, they will perform a tissue biopsy to see if it holds any cancerous cells and if it does then I will have to have my thyroid completely removed. The left side of my thyroid is kind of small and we just have to wait and see after surgery if I will have to be on a thyroid replacement hormone for the rest of my life.

Here is the kicker -- the ENT said my tonsils are humongous. Which, honestly, I already knew. My whole childhood (up until I was about 19/20 years old), I had tonsillitis about every 3-4 months. Seriously, I should have had my tonsils taken out years ago but the doctor I went to growing up told me every time I had it that he would consider having them removed the next time I got tonsillitis. Which kept happening. It was a vicious cycle. Anyway, the ENT said that he would recommend me getting my tonsils removed because there is only a 1.5cm space between them--which could explain my waking up not feeling refreshed and having trouble breathing while exercising. I could do the surgeries together, or separately... but the tonsils should go too.

Welp. I'll be having 2 surgeries. At the same time. And I am not looking forward to the tonsillectomy at all. I hear it's worse for adults and the ENT told me that "I would hate him" after the surgery. I've been reading some forums about "older people" getting their tonsils removed and, well, it's scary. I'm not worried, this is just how I cope and get my information so I'm prepared. Yes, it's scary. I did say that. But, I'm actually excited to get rid of my tonsils. And I'm ready to get rid of this little thyroid nodule that is just wrecking havoc on my body.

So, there you have it. I'll keep everyone updated on when the surgery will be. I have to call in the next couple days to schedule the surgery... first though, I have to get through my mom's surgery. Which is a whole other post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...