How different our lives are when we really know what is deeply important to us, and keeping that picture in mind, we manage ourselves each day to be and to do what really matters most.--Stephen Covey

Monday, November 7, 2011

Update on Liz's Mom

I bet everyone is wondering how my mom's surgery went. It's now 2 weeks since she got home from her surgery afterall...

I spent 6 days with my mom in North Carolina--2 days before surgery and the 4.5 days after surgery. I am so glad that I was able to go and stay with her a couple days before surgery--it gave us time to catch up and spend time together and it helped to ease my anxiety about the whole thing because I got to relax a couple days before she went in for surgery.

The surgery went well. It was estimated to be about 4-6 hours in the OR and she ended up being in surgery for 8-ish hours!! It then took her another 1-2 hours to wake up from the anesthesia. If you remember reading about it
last month, she had the double mastectomy and the reconstruction surgery at the same time this time--which are two pretty hefty surgeries to have at once. This website has a pretty good description of the reconstruction surgery/process that she had. She had to go with the latissimus dorsi flap because she had her gall bladder removed and the scar tissue from that surgery would have prevented the blood from reaching the tissue from her belly moved up to her breasts. Needless to say, she is in pain but keeping her spirits up and staying positive. She's one strong woman!! 

Before I left, she was able to finally take a shower. Which was a
process and exhausted her. She told me that she slept for the rest of the afternoon after the shower!! I had to remove all the bandages/gauze and then re-bandage/gauze everything. During the whole process we had a nice little laugh because I had to remove the bandages from her back incisions and I did it quickly. I swear that I asked her which she preferred--slow or fast--and she said fast. Or that she didn't care. But, it was painful, as you can image. So the other side, I did slowly :P She said that she now knows now it felt for us as kids to have her remove bandages fast like that. 

She's slowly recovering. The recovery for this type of surgery is typically 6 or so weeks... and she's on week 3 of recovery. She still has 2 of the 6 drainage tubes that they put in her and is hoping that those come out this week. And she has an appointment with the oncologist to talk about further treatment. Since there was no cancer in the lymph nodes and the cancer was
super small, we are hoping that she does not have to have any invasive treatment. She is prepared to deal with anything though. She thinks that they will put her on Tamoxifen again though. We'll see.

I'd like to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers! God is soooooooooooo good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...