How different our lives are when we really know what is deeply important to us, and keeping that picture in mind, we manage ourselves each day to be and to do what really matters most.--Stephen Covey

Monday, February 20, 2012

Another Diagnosis - PCOS

Are you tired of hearing about my health concerns? I know I am... I just wanted to be healthy this year!!

I've been debating all week on whether or not I want to share this. It's personal and I am struggling with it a lot since finding out, but it's a part of my journey and may be an especially big part of my weightloss journey.

On Tuesday, I was diagnosed with PCOS. For those of you that don't know what PCOS is, it's polycystic ovary syndrome. Basically it's an endocrine disorder and is a problem in which a women's hormones are out of balance. Great, right? Just what I need, another endocrine disorder. Add PCOS to thyroid disorder and gallbladder disease. Good thing, as of right now, the thyroid problem and gallbladder disease are cured. Thank God!

Short story is, I wasn't even at the girly doc for anything to do with PCOS but was in for an ultrasound for other issues and they found the cysts on my ovaries. They also think I have endometreosis but the only way to truly diagnose that is exploratory laparoscopic surgery and I am not having surgery right now. What.a.year. Anyway, I called up my endocrinologist and went in for all the tests associated with PCOS and am still waiting the results. They took 9 viles of blood!!

Anyway, PCOS can affect fertility. Can cause diabetes. Can cause heart disease. I don't have a lot of the symptoms other than weight gain and trouble losing weight. Oh, and I've had irregular periods for the last 3 or so years. Especially in the last year.

So, treatment is continuing birth control and my endocrinologist prescribed Metformin for me to take. Metformin is a diabetes medication that helps control insulin levels. I don't have diabetes, but my insulin levels may be out of balance and this could help me to start losing weight. I'm not looking for a miracle here, but it may help me get and stay motivated to actually see a difference on the scale when I am working on losing weight. Also, I'm going to work on majorly decreasing my sugar levels and staying away from processed foods, especially sugary ones. Metformin is also used to help those with PCOS get pregnant, but Jake and I are not at that point yet. Losting 5-10% of my weight right now can really help lessen the symptoms of the PCOS as well as help with fertility, so that is what I am focusing on. Jake and I figured out that a 20lb weight loss would be about 10% of my weight right now and would really help me to start feeling better about myself. So, for now, that is my goal.

I'm trying really hard to not think about the negatives that are associated with PCOS and just thinking about it being a step forward with my frustrations with weightloss. Hopefully now that we have this figured out, I will be able to move forward with losing weight.

1 comment:

  1. Sucks that you have to deal with something else :( Everything happens for a reason. Try to keep your head up! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...