How different our lives are when we really know what is deeply important to us, and keeping that picture in mind, we manage ourselves each day to be and to do what really matters most.--Stephen Covey

Friday, February 24, 2012

A Much Needed Break Up

Have I mentioned how much I love sugar? 


Okay, it's not necessarily sugar that I love, but I definitely have a sweet tooth. 


And guess what I have to do?? I have to break up with sugar. I bet it's going to be as difficult as you think it's going to be. I don't have to give up sugar completely, but what I am eating now is not helping my body. And with a diagnosis of PCOS, I definitely need to get serious about treating my body right if I want to be able to conceive. And carry.


I could sit here and whine and cry about why another health thing has been thrown my way, but I am choosing not to. I am worried about my fertility and ability to conceive in the future, but I am making goals to work toward making it easier for my body.


My doctor put me on Metformin, which is a diabetes drug that helps level out insulin levels. My insulin levels are slightly elevated, but nothing to be worried about. Metformin helps with weightloss and can help with the symptoms of PCOS. I haven't started taking it yet though because I am scared of the side effects that I have read about. They are mostly intestinal and I don't want to feel miserable, especially when I am going in and out of client's homes. No thank you!!


I also have a vitamin D deficiency and my endocrinologist put me on a once a week Vitamin D supplement for 8-weeks and then I have to continue with a daily Vitamin D pill. I am assuming that my lack of leaving the house in the past 7-months due to being sick and not spending the summer in the sun like I normally do has something to do with this. And not eating very well. I am completely guilty of that!!


Anyway, on top of the Metformin and the Vit D supplement, I am going to start the South Beach Diet. I've had success with it in the past and during those 2 weeks of no carbs, I felt great. I made it through the two weeks before and then slowly went back to regular eating but now I have a really great reason to stick to it. It's going to be so hard because I love my sweets and I hate that I can't be "normal" but I am glad that I have an answer as to why it has nearly been impossible for me to lose weight. I thought it was my thyroid, boy were we wrong!!


It's all about putting one foot in front of the other now and moving forward. And being healthy. I need to focus on me.


My first goal is to lose 10% of my weight, which is about 20lbs. This will help with some of the symptoms (apparently) and is a step closer to being able to conceive. I know that God has a plan for me and I am taking the measures that I can to be healthy. He can see and hear my heart and know what I dream of and want and I know that His plan is great for me. 


"My grace is enough for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness" (2 Cor. 12:8).

1 comment:

  1. I'll be thinking about you during this tough time - I tried South Beach for a while. I was considering Weight Watchers again for the accountability aspect, but I'm going to try it alone for a bit longer ... Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...