How different our lives are when we really know what is deeply important to us, and keeping that picture in mind, we manage ourselves each day to be and to do what really matters most.--Stephen Covey

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Starting the South Beach Diet - Phase 1

I started the South Beach Diet Phase on Monday. I've had success with it in the past and a lot of my research online has shown that women with PCOS have success on it with losing weight and evening out their insulin levels. My bloodwork showed a little bit of an increase in insulin, so I am taking this pretty seriously since a risk of PCOS is developing diabetes. No diabetes for me. Time to get serious.

So far I am doing pretty good. I have a Vitamin D deficiency (also common with PCOS), so I have been drinking a glass of milk every morning with breakfast. I hate milk, but I need more Vitamin D and it's too cold right now for me to go sit outside (yea, I'm a wimp!). All I wanted on Monday was something sweet (a cookie, a piece of cake, some candy, ANYTHING!!) but I held out all day and had sugar-free Jello last night with some low-fat whipped cream. I'm seriously addicted to sugar...

I am reading The PCOS Workbook: Your Guide to Complete Physical and Emotional Health right now to help me understand PCOS and how to manage it. Initially I was super stressed about it because of 1. another diagnosis, and 2. how it can affect my fertility but I am now calming down and taking the steps to take care of myself. What I've learned is that I not only have an emotional dependence on sugar ('cuz I'm an emotional eater -- just keeping it real) but also a physiological dependence on sugar because of how it affects the body and how women with PCOS just "naturally" crave sugar. It's pretty frustrating because even if I get over the whole addiction part of sugar, then my body still really wants it. Yesterday and today has been good so far. I even had a vanilla latte from Starbucks :) Sugar-free and fat-free, of course.

Yesterday I had Jake help me with some pictures and measurements. I'd really like to be held accountable for this, and I'd really like to see the progress. I'm pretty serious about this.

I know that I should be serious about this for me. But really, I would be lying to you if I told you this. I'm serious about this for my fertility. More than anything in the world, I want to be a mom and I want to be able to get pregnant on my own. So, yes, I am doing this to be healthy. And to see my goal weight. But I also want to start and have a family and so I am doing this.

You ask if there are any updates with Jake and I? Ah, we're just living the dream. Working and paying the bills.

And dealing with what God places in front of us, one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...